“Before this workshop, I felt like I was stagnant. Now I feel like I can move forward with my life. Now I know where to start.”
The unexpected is rarely planned. The death of a spouse. The end of a relationship. The loss of household income. When everything you depended on disappears, life comes to a screeching halt. Almost.
You still need to pay bills. You still need to buy groceries. You still need somewhere to call “home.” You need to be self-sufficient.
As a homemaker without substantial work experience, entering the job market will be one of the most difficult challenges you’ll face.
Our goal is to make it the most rewarding.
We serve job seekers in Cleveland and Gaston Counties by offering free classes, workshops, and individualized services designed to ease your transition into the job market through:
- Career planning — Together, we’ll explore various career paths based on your skills and interests and creating short- and long-term career goals that will help you succeed.
- Resume writing — Whether you have a lengthy work history or none at all, you still have a wide variety of skills to offer employers. Together, we’ll inventory your skills and customize a resume that highlights your best skills and attributes.
- Enhancing interviewing skills — No one is immune to a bad interview experience, but we’ll empower you with skills and techniques to present yourself professionally, answer the toughest questions with confidence, and make a positive, lasting impression.
- Making the most out of your job search — There’s more to searching for a job than e-mailing your resume to an employer. Together, we’ll discuss some of the most effective ways to ensure that you’re not far from employers’ minds when a job opening occurs.
Do you have other goals in mind? While New Choices’ ultimate goal for each client is financial independence, we realize that your needs are unique and sometimes unrelated to a job search. To that end, we offer a variety of free services designed to:
- Improve self-esteem
- Enhance communication and intrapersonal skills
- Create personal budgets and organize finances
- Explore life and health skills that make life easier and more affordable
- Provide limited financial assistance to offset the cost of educational goals and childcare expenses (available on a first-come, first-served basis)
If you’re interested in qualifying as a “displaced homemaker,” to receive free, personal services from New Choices, visit “Am I A Displaced Homemaker?” or contact the New Choices Director, at 704-487-9325 ext. 11.
Want to try us out first? Visit our Event Calendar to view upcoming, free classes and workshops near you. Then call 704-487-9325 to register.